Guest essay by Stephen McDowell
“To consider the judges as the ultimate arbiters of all constitutional questions [is] a very dangerous doctrine indeed, and one which would place us under the despotism of an oligarchy. Our judges are as honest as other men and not more so. They have with others the same passions for party, for power, and the privilege of their corps. Their maxim is boni judicis est ampliare jurisdictionem [good justice is broad jurisdiction], and their power the more dangerous as they are in office for life and not responsible, as the other functionaries are, to the elective control. The Constitution has erected no such single tribunal, knowing that to whatever hands confided, with the corruptions of time and party, its members would become despots. It has more wisely made all the departments co-equal and co-sovereign within themselves.” –Thomas Jefferson to William C. Jarvis, 1820.
Thomas Jefferson’s description of allowing judicial activism in a republic aptly describes the court’s recent decision in Obergefell v. Hodges. This decision to establish homosexual marriage as national policy is absurd for many reasons. To begin with official recognition of homosexual marriage is a recognition of homosexual behavior. Both homosexual marriage and behavior are wrong for many reasons:
- Homosexuality is contrary to natural law (observation of how nature functions) and the laws of nature (the revelation of the Creator in nature and man’s conscience).
- Homosexuality is contrary to the laws of nature’s God (the revelation of God in the Bible). It is against God’s basic commandments in the Old Testament as well as the writings in the New Testament (Of course homosexuals, like any person living in sin, can be forgiven and saved).
- Homosexual behavior produces higher rates of diseases and shorter life spans (remember HIV has spread primarily through the homosexual lifestyle, and that is only one type of disease or illness with high rates in the homosexual community).
- Homosexuality is contrary to Darwinism (if you happen to believe this modern idea) and its survival of the fittest. Such behavior keeps species from propagating and hence the death of any species living this way.
- Homosexuality is not only contrary to the Christian faith (points 1 and 2) but also most other major religions.
- Almost all nations and races throughout recorded history have been opposed to homosexuality. Those societies who have embraced such a lifestyle have ceased to exist.
- Homosexuality is contrary to the beliefs of Western Civilization.
- Homosexuality is contrary to the morality and laws throughout the history of America.
- Studies show children living in homes with homosexual parents do not do as well. Domestic abuse is 40% higher in such families.
- Homosexual unions are not as stable as heterosexual unions. Homosexual unions have greater breakups, and homosexuals have many more partners throughout life.
- Homosexual families subvert a purpose of marriage to link children to their biological parents. God, nature, the history of man, and studies of child development all teach that the natural and best place for children to be raised is with their biological parents.
- A society that permits or embraces homosexuality will encourage more “Sanduskites;” that is, men like Coach Sandusky who could take advantage and abuse youth in their care. While heterosexuals could abuse females, they are generally not personally mentoring them via scouts, sports teams, clubs, etc., and hence, these situations are avoided. However, such would not be the case in a society that does not condemn homosexual behavior.
- Allowing this behavior promotes those who would force their immorality upon everyone. Recent actions of homo-fascists show they will force their immoral system on everyone. Remember the florist in Washington, the baker in Oregon, and the photographer in Arizona who have been fined and punished for acting upon their religious convictions. In addition, consider the officials in San Antonio who passed a law prohibiting those opposing homosexuality from running for office, serving in government, or speaking against such behavior. These coercive measures will only increase.
See the whole the original article from which this excerpt was taken at the Providence Foundation website and in the Providential Perspective e-newsletter. Providence Foundation will present evidence for these points in a future Providential Perspective edition.
Stephen McDowell is co-founder and President of the Providence Foundation, a nonprofit Christian educational organization whose mission is to spread liberty, justice, and prosperity among the nations by educating individuals in a Biblical worldview
© 2015 Used by Permission