Guest essay by Carole G. Adams
If we Americans of today had the same degree of knowledge of Christian history as did our forefathers, we would not have allowed socialism to secure a foothold.—Verna Hall
What is socialism? Why is it evil?
I am shocked and troubled by the response of students to a recent cable news interview. Not one college-level student attending rallies for the socialist presidential candidates could define “socialism:’ yet their enthusiasm for the candidates was not diminished.
A modem version of Merriam-Webster’s Dictionary gives a simple definition of socialism as, “a way of organizing a society in which major industries are owned and controlled by the government rather than by individual people and companies.
Socialism is a philosophy of government that directly opposes our American form of Christian self-government, along with the ownership of private property that alone, through all the annals of history, made man free.
We now face the harsh realization that we have educated a generation to this ideology-a generation that does not know the evil of socialism. We are directing billions of dollars to perpetuate this propaganda into the hearts and minds of am children through am public education institutions. We are inculcating a philosophy that forms the character of dependence and greed, and clamors for cradle to grave entitlement.
This state of am nation is well documented by a close examination of our schools. It is proliferated by the media, and produces the vast ignorance that exists today concerning government. It obliterates the principles of Biblical Christianity and principled living that alone propose hope for our children’s future.
Consider these alarming facts:
- In 2015, the U.S. ranked number 14 in education in the world after Poland and Russia (RankingAmerica.com)
- Projected 2016 combined state and federal spending on education is a whopping $950.8 billion
- Discipline problems in public schools are growing with 78% of students being quick to remind teachers that they have rights or that their parents can sue (PublicAgenda.org)
- According to the U.S. Department of Education and the National Institute of Literacy, 32 million adults in the U.S. cannot read and 21 % of adults read below a 5th grade level (HulfingtonPost.com)
- 85% of all juveniles who interface with the juvenile court system are functionally illiterate and over 70% of inmates in America’s prisons cannot read above a 4th grade level
American Christians and Patriots are dumbfounded! How can we spend so many billions on education yet the results are destroying our country? How backward from the conviction of those who forged American liberty! Their sound ideas and experience proved to them that liberty could only exist where government is limited to protecting life and property.
President Ronald Reagan spoke against “trust-me-government” and urged us not to put trust in man but in “those values that transcend persons and parties”-the right ideas.
What are those right ideas?
- The idea that our Constitution of the United States of America gave only enumerated powers—very specific, limited powers—to the national government while protecting local self-government
- A Biblical worldview that teaches the value of the individual, that conscience is the most sacred property, and that government rests on moral principles and the character of the citizens
- The right to personal property that makes “the redistribution of wealth” outright thievery
- A vibrant Christian spirit in the land that encourages brotherly love and care, making food stamps and welfare programs obsolete
- Liberty of individual initiative and responsibility under a heritage of common law rooted in Biblical principles as the essential underpinnings of our freedom
We must permeate our culture with the ideas of life and liberty. It is imperative that we teach our children Truth before it is too late.
Our mission at The Foundation for American Christian Education, from the founding over 50 years ago, has been to “tell the children!” We teach God’s Hand in history to instill the ideas of liberty anew in each generation. We stand at the floodgate holding back the lies and deceit that threaten to deluge our nation, destroy our economy, and poison our children with fraudulent and bankrupt ideas.
The principles that make men free are Biblical and they are Christian, Teaching our children these ideas is the lasting solution to sustaining American liberty for this and future generations. When Truth is honored, when the principles of the Bible are taught and practiced, and when the source of our wisdom is God in Christ, then our nation and Christian self-government will be secured for many generations to come.
But the crisis is growing and we need your help to stem the tide. Your gift today will support our efforts to “tell the children” and save them from drowning in a perverse and corrupt generation. The future of America depends upon it.
For Christ and His Story,
Carole G. Adams President
PS Our Co-Founder Verna Hall reminds us:
The answer then on how to stop America’s drift into further socialism, is education in our Christian history and heritage; it is to restore Christianity as the vital spirit of America in every avenue of its life, to acknowledge Christianity with its Christian idea of man and government as the life, vitality and inspiration of our Republic.
PPS The hearts and minds of our future generations are at risk. It is up to each of us to keep the spark of liberty alive. You can help by supporting our mission as we “Tell the children” the Truth of God’s Word and Liberty.
Thank you for your support, May God bless you!
Socialism vs Liberty:
The study of history reveals that the world so recently and ignominiously embraced the wrongs of socialism, and then struggled to free its victims at the cost of millions of lives. How can we so stubbornly allow it to entrap us again? A veil of lies and deceit shrouds our nation and obscures truth. This chart simply shows the contrast of socialism to liberty:
- Consumer oriented
- Controls and regulates wealth
- Robs the productive to entitle everyone
How will you respond?
• Productivity oriented
• Protects life and property
• Frees individual initiative and rewards work
The original of this excerpted essay appeared as a circular mailer of the Foundation for American Christian Education (FACE).
Founded by the late Verna M. Hall and Rosalie G. Slater to revive the outworking of the Christian faith through teaching God’s Providential history of liberty, the Foundation for American Christian Education, today continues its commission through the committed leadership of Dr. Carole G. Adams, in Chesapeake, Virginia.
© 2016 Used by Permission